Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, click
http://www.thegeigleyfamily.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 01, 2009

It's official....

I have hesitated on posting this. It's hard being on this end of it...you look over you life of the past 8 years and you wonder where did you go wrong? Is it my fault? Could I have prevented it? As a parent, and especially as a mother...I can't help but feel somewhat responsible. Like it's all my fault, I should have been able to fix it. Right? The clear answer...no. It's hereditary, and due to other contributing factors, almost inevitable. One uncle on each side has it as well.

Falyn has been diagnosed with AD/HD. How did we determine this? Plain and simple....She's failing the 3rd grade. We knew at the end of the 1st semester that she was struggling, and we took action to do what we could to prevent it, but despite our efforts, she continued to decline.

Here is an excerpt from an information organization her Dr sent us to...and you'll see...almost inevitable.

In instances where heredity does not seem to be a factor, difficulties during pregnancy, prenatal exposure to alcohol and tobacco, premature delivery, significantly low birth weight, excessively high body lead levels, and postnatal injury to the pre-frontal regions of the brain have all been found to contribute to the risk for AD/HD to varying degrees.


Despite all of that....this is the part that makes Justin and me go "huh?" She was tested for the GATE program (was also tested at the beginning of the year) and scored in the top 98%...yet will repeat the 3rd grade! We've always known she was brilliant, and I mean that whole-heartily...she's SO intelligent! She'll knock your socks off....she just can't stay focused long enough to prove it when it counts, like testing. :(

So, just keep her in your prayers (heck, all of us!)...this will be a lifelong journey, full of frustrations and aggravations, as well as I am sure, plenty of elation. It will be a long road.

3 comments:

Madelyn said...

She's lucky to have you as parents... it will make this journey easier for her. Hang in there! If you have any questions, you should email my sister. Austin has ADHD and Keri knows lots of info./books to read that will surely help. theparkersinbr@yahoo.com

LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU!!!!
XOXOXOXO

harmijo said...

Oh G, I am so sorry to hear this. I have a learning disability myself, as well as many others on my father's side of the family. My half brother has AD/HD in particular. I overcame my learning disability though through a year of special education and with tutors. Others in my family have overcome it as well. Just know that although those of us with a learning disability never 'get rid of' our LD, we do learn to overcome it! :) Just check out all the great minds who have had HD/AD on this page http://www.oneaddplace.com/famous.htm and you will see you are right about brilliance being seen in Falyn, just as it was in these famous folks! You guys are great parents and I know Falyn will do great because of that and if love alone could rid someone of AD/HD, she would be cured! I will be praying for you all.

God bless,
Heidi

Jennifer said...

Poor baby...but it's better you found out sooner rather than later. Although it's dissapointing, she will learn how to overcome this challenge. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!